Saturday, August 30, 2008

One never knows

So, I have a lot of dreams.
Most of them are pretty random.
Some of them are pretty scary.
Like the ones where a spider is spiraling down it's web from the ceiling onto my face.
Or the ones where some person (with a different face, though somehow you know it's that person) is in some place (that's not really the place, you just somehow know it's that place) and they are doing something very odd only you think that it's very normal.
But around this time of year, the dreams get down. right. terrifying.
Last night I dreamed that it was the first day of school. My first class had gone alright, apparently. The next class was coming in and I was standing in the hallway as they walked past. All of the sudden, panic set in as I realized I had NO CLASS LISTS. Whoa! WHAT?
You'd think with a plot line as thick as that, my dream would have lasted about 4 minutes. However, it lasted about 30, with me waking up screaming and (literally) crying because I was so anxiety-filled.
I'm not sure anyone who is not a teacher could understand the anxiety that a teacher feels right before the first day of school.
Fear.
It's something I don't like to admit, but it is there. It is not rational. I have never lost control of a classroom. I've never felt like my students were so out of control that they were literally on the verge of staging a coup.
Yet one never knows.
Could this year be the one where I get "the" kid that can literally trick an entire class into turning against me? Could this year be the one where I have "forgotten" to plan a single lesson the whole first day of school? Or the year when I show up to class only to realize that I am in the wrong room and it appears that my room has actually never been set up?
Somehow, I doubt it.

No comments: