Saturday, October 11, 2008

But-I'm so tired!

Teaching is exhausting. Teaching another language is exhausting. Teaching another language while not speaking your native language is a whole other story! I find that the amount of running, jumping, yelling, laughing, crying, arm moving, and outright craziness that I deal with everyday just begins to take a toll on your body.
This week I was having one of those days where I literally did not even want to get up from my chair when the kids got in. I had no desire to stand up in front of them and pretend that I was ok-that I wasn't sad, and tired, and stressed beyond belief. However, I only have one week left with this class and we had to keep going.
On a whim, I pulled down the screen, turned on the projector, turned off one light, and opened up a word document on my computer. As the kids shuffled in, I literally pretended that I couldn't speak. They were confused and a little curious. So, up on the screen I just started typing their instructions for the day. Thankfully, we were working on a project so I had a lot of directions I probably would have given in English anyway. So, they watched in real time as I typed. If I asked a question, they would raise their hand and I would type their name in to answer. By the end of it, I was laughing so hard I couldn't handle it and that meant I was caught-they knew I could speak! It was amazing to me that they know me well enough to even pay attention to something as random as this-and to react, even-it just floored me. I love those kids and wish I didn't have to trade them in for new ones :( That just makes me tired!

No comments: