Monday, March 15, 2010

Goals

My goal for this year is not being met (nor will it, I'm afraid). My original goal was to get all my assessments recorded and online. The problem is I have re-do my whole scope and sequence because of the middle school schedule change, on top of the fact that us going through as a department and doing our ELOs is prompting us to re-do some of our assessments.
So, as everything changes, it doesn't make sense to get these assessments done. On top of it, I've only done the first two more than once this year to know if they work since my classes got changed to 5 weeks.

I am really, really struggling with the 5 week thing. I'm feeling more than burnt-out. Like, for example, I feel like if I teach the alphabet one more time, I am going to bang my head against the wall! And the problem is that I would just go ahead and switch that and teach something else, but it's more beneficial for the kids to all go into 7th grade knowing the same thing (well, except for the random kids that had 14 weeks of it).

I feel like such a disaster going into next year. I have no idea how I'm going to split up classes, and I have no clue what I should do when I get kids that have variable amounts of French. I know they can always use review, but that's only to a certain extent. And the weirdest part is that, hopefully, I will be on maternity leave at the beginning of the year, so I'll have a sub navigating through the first time changing to every-other-day classes as well as this first time seeing what will take 9 weeks.

I guess I know I can't worry about it too much, but honestly-what happens in the beginning could make or break the year for me. I care so much about the students and what they're getting and I know I've said this before, but I don't feel like this is going to be a good fit for me. I pride myself on the good rapport I have with students and I just can't see that happening with over 300 kids every other day. It is really not a good spot in my life to switch jobs or even content areas, but I'm nervous. Nervous about the stress, about the toll it will take on me, nervous about whether or not I'll be able to handle it. Only time will tell, I guess!

No comments: