Thursday, January 27, 2011

Clinical Student

So, for the past month, I've had a clinical student from Luther College. I was pretty excited for it, even though I knew that this time of year my schedule is so messed up (field trips, holidays, ending a semester and beginning a new one). So, since this was her first real experience in a French class, I thought I'd have her start by observing, then teach a few classes where she could watch me teach them first, and then if she wanted, she could plan a teach a lesson.
For the first time, I started to think of myself as a veteran teacher! It shocks me-I'm not the "new kid" anymore! I felt like I had something to share with her, and in turn it has helped me feel validated when I especially needed it.
It's honestly been pretty difficult to have someone else start your classroom and you come in 3 months into it. I'm so thankful for the time I had off, but I never felt a connection with the students, and honestly, there were some habits developed that were kind of annoying :)

Anyway, watching the clinical student teach this lesson was a really good way/time to reflect on myself. I have learned so much over the years! I can think of good things about what I do that I'm proud of.

But, I also have been kind of in a rut. With so much going on in my life, as well as the constant schedule changing, I have been lazy. I have been living with the status quo, because it works. But I think I might be getting a little bored with the same ol'. Something I deifnitely need to work on.

No comments: