Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yikes

Sometimes I underestimate the affect I may or may not have on students. I just got a new class of 8th graders, and there is a boy in that class who I find to be particularly funny. We were playing a review game in class, and when the game was over, someone said, "Les bonbons, Madame??" (Candy?)
I laughed and told them no and this boy said, "You can't ask that! If you ask that she gets mad!"

This totally boggled my mind because, well, I don't actually get mad very often and I can't remember I time that I've yelled recently, and this class is brand new.

So I said, "What do you mean? How do you know that?" (because, honestly, I give out candy every once in a while, and if they ask, then I definitely do NOT give it out).

He said, "I asked for bonbons once in 6th grade and you got mad. You were my first applied ever in middle school."

It just kind of hit me-this kid remembers this 3 years later? Seriously? I mean, he still chose French, so he must have had good memories, too, but it's humbling to think that one bad day or outburst or whatever you call it can stick with a kid!

Yikes!!!

No comments: