Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A little goes a long way

So, the other day a 6th grade boy came in carrying a sketch pad. On it, he had a pencil drawing of a car (a Mustang, maybe? I didn't really know) and so I asked to see it. He showed me, and smiled, and told me a little about it.
The next time he had class, he came in, carrying the sketch pad, open this time, and he had added more to the drawing (shading, and background). He stood in front of me, holding the sketchpad just so in order for me to notice it. So, I did, and commented, and said that I liked Mustangs. Perhaps it was a little lie, because I don't really care about cars.
Well, next class, he brought me in an article he had printed about Mustangs. And I noticed he had written
To: Mrs. Wopat
From: M
on the picture. Only he didn't give it to me.

He still carries his sketch pad to class every day. I'm not sure if i should say, "Hey! It says my name on it-is it for me?"
I wonder if he's nervous? If he thinks I won't like it?

It is just a reminder to me of how far one little thing-my comment that I liked his picture-can go. It also reminds me just how much importance some (most?) kids put on your words. It makes me think that one sarcastic/joking comment can impact a kids entire day (week?). They remember things you say. They want you to compliment them. They hope you like their drawings. They look for your acceptance.

I get frustrated sometimes....

"Seriously? No pencil? Are you kidding me?"
(I'm sure they're certainly not kidding)

"What grade did you really think you would get on this test?"
(I'm sure they knew they needed the help)

Those are just two from this week that I regret. That I can't take back after I've said them, but I can apologize. I can try to fix it.

Last story.

7th grade boy. Failing French when I got back from leave. Kept pushing him to study during class. Don't know much about him.

Today was the assessment. He comes up. Seriously, he started talking for the assessment and he was just speaking gibberish. Total gobblygook. I was so perplexed. So I just said, "Look. You know you can re-do anything. Let's study together."

Then after he sat down, I thought of something. So I called him back up.

"Who is your advisor? Who is your academy teacher?"

Then, "Do you ever See Mrs. Hanson, or Mrs. Crogan?"

Yep, Mrs. Hanson is my teacher.

Sinking feeling. Should've been getting accomodations! How did I miss this?

I show him the assessment with a word bank. He WHIZZES through it. I mean, seriously-he got an A+ while using the word bank.

A little goes a LONG WAY!

No comments: