Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I could learn to be an architect, right?

So, as a teacher, I have to be honest. I really do like my job, but I also REALLY love the summer. And so when summer is over, it is not so fun. Now, I have a lot of friends that are teachers. When we come back to school, some of them make me very angry. They are the ones that are like, "Oh, I was so ready to be back! I get so bored in the summer. I miss the kids."

I'm telling you that I love seeing the kids, too. However, I do not enjoy seeing them at 7 a.m. after not seeing that time for approximately 3 months.
The friends that I really appreciate are the ones from whom I received the following voicemails/e-mails after the first day of school:

"Hey! Only 179 days to go!"
"Hey, Christy! Architect, medical transcriptionist, freelance writer/photographer, personal shopper, wedding planner...one of those has got to work out for us!"
"Dear, Christy. When you go work at Ace Hardware, could you put in a good word for me?"

These make me so happy, not because we hate our jobs, but that we can all appreciate a good, sarcastic laugh at how miserable it is to have freedom (although most of us spend much of our summers working at school or for school) and then to lose it just.like.that.

At the end of day 2, teachers know what they are in for. They have picked out already the kids that are going to push us to our limits, the kids that we will need to push to their limits, and the kids that will very happily fit somewhere in between.

That being said, we are exhausted. Tonight we sat down for dinner and when my husband stood up to begin cleaning up, he groaned, "Babe. Don't try to stand up. Seriously, for your own good!" Last night we fell into bed, exhausted at 9:30 and then spent hours tossing and turning, nerves finally settling and our tired brains fighting back for all we had put them through.

178 to go, I guess.
When's Christmas break?

No comments: